Decoding communication in the digital age

It was a lazy Thursday evening.I was chatting with a friend over watsapp.Shifted tabs to look for a smiley...The conversation was so engaging that I often resorted to using smileys.My smiley history ranged from puzzled to perplexed,smiling to blushing to rofling. Jinxed with some mischievous ones..Now if I have elicited the so what response from you..Just hold on.
If you look at someone's watsapp smiley history(do it on your own accord,don't cite my article ;) ) you might notice an assorted range of smileys or memes or emoticons.Whatever! Don't they tell you something.Something about how the person is at heart or his inherent personality?
No? Well,I have a friend who is a little childish at heart even short tempered sometimes.I observed that while chatting with her she resorted to using smileys that forayed the gray shades of emotions.Angry-yellow with anger,red with anger.Irritated,frowning,sad et al. That gave me an interesting insight into her personality.
The world is two faced you might say,one thing for one's self and something else for the world.What about them? I myself choose to reply great and rocking when people ask me how I am doing.Not that I am faking entirely but that I how I choose to be.You say great,awesome,rocking all the time maybe life literally translates into that.
Going back to the friend of mine,I was initially concerned for her.But when no amount of consoling or counseling would help I simply gave up.Fowl moods can be infectious sometimes.But it later turned out she was undergoing treatment for some kind of memory issues. Now I think I should have stuck to helping her out.She is in the pink of health as we speak,but this is a recurring thought I have.
Watsapp and the likes are a fantastic breakthrough in the field of communication.Life would be so much simpler if it existed a few years earlier.But nevertheless, it is appreciated in full measure in these days too.What we hear(read chat) , see(statuses) over a lazy evening or a during a peek-a-boo at office/college hours might actually mean something deeper and significant.Maybe a frown in your friend's status be actually a reflection of what she feels or is going through.So when you read something like that,take little time off the forwarding part of watsapp to actually communicate with a person who might need help.Ask how are you?Say something endearing.Something meaningful. Say take care.You never know what might change because you asked.

Comments

Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

Mahashweta-A review

Ambulance without a siren

Let It Rain