Naadan Parinde Ghar aaja

A high voltage drama involving emotions,bonding and hatred.No, I am not describing the Rahman sound track nor the movie Rockstar. This drama entails the struggle of a bird to free itself from the clutches of human insanity.
Every morning , the cheerful cries of the birds fill one with joy  as they go on with the daily humdrum of day to day activities.It is really an enlivening experience to watch them.And a rare bird sighting even makes your day.
But today morning was different.Yes there were cries all around.But they were panic-stricken.Helpless cries.It was as if they were mourning something.We went outside to make some sense of the commotion.What we saw almost brought the horror of the news the day before come alive.A bird was caught with its wing entangled in the kite string that hung loose from an electric pole.
What we saw next wrenched our hearts completely.While the bird in question floated freely and struggled once in a while.We thought it had given up all hopes of salvation.But the bird fraternity hadn't.They all were croaking and cawing to get help.Whom they were beckoning for help I have no clue.But they were there and they hadn't given up.
Just for a moment I thought, how many humans would stand up for another human the way these crows did? If at all,they would merely empathize.Humans today merely utilize each other.But that is not what I intend to sermonize on.
As the drama enfolded, I and my sister began our fervent prayers.We prayed for a miracle.Something struck and I dialed the bird and animal rescue number.I was so dazzled that even when the person was saying Hello? Hello? I couldn't manage to speak.All I managed was Bird caught .In pain.He asked where?I said wanworie. As he gave me the number of another person I saw something that greatly relieved me.
A person staying in the neighborhood had gone up to the terrace.He had a long bamboo stick in hand.The one used to shaking trees to lure the Jambhool(Indian plum) to the ground.He managed to bring the kite string along with the bird at eye level.Next he brought the bird closer and freed it.
The moment the bird flew away we gave out a sigh of happiness.I  involuntarily thanked the man.I was so happy. I thanked the almighty who in subtle and not such a miraculous way had made us instrumental in freeing the ave.
Well all is well that ends well.But that is not all.If you remember the news article I mentioned early in the article?
According to the story, about three hundred birds had succumbed to the struggle, quite similar to the one that ensued today.But the difference was, there was only end ,no happy end.
Why does this happen? Is this mere accident?  In spite of repeated warnings and reminders from the government regarding the shunning of the Chinese glass coated manjas(kite strings). People continue to ignore them, regardless of the havoc it can have on some innocent bird's life.
While kite flying during Makar Sankranti  is a custom beheld by the Indian society , it can be adverse if not carried out responsibly.Where the festival means new beginning for some it could mean the end of everything for many.
On the eve of republic day,I urge all responsible Indians to pay heed to this small and often neglected fact.So that every nadaan parinda can return home safe and sound.
Jay Hind!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mahashweta-A review

Ambulance without a siren

Let It Rain